We’ve all been there. Sometimes you just need extra cash in a hurry. Maybe you have a present you forgot to buy, it’s Christmas time, you need more groceries before your next pay check next week, or there’s a new gadget you just want now. There are a number of things you can do to get cash pretty quickly.
- Craigslist: Most of us are familiar with Craigslist by now, whether we’ve listed something, bought something or looked for free stuff. If you have something to sell, put it on Craigslist. Not everything goes, but a lot of stuff does. Especially if it’s a popular gadget at the time. Best of all, it’s cash in hand.
- Amazon and Ebay: Listing things to sell on Amazon and Ebay can be great! (Textbooks at back to school time do well, also.) You do need to have your payment stuff set up before you start for no delays, and it can take more time than selling to someone local for you to receive payment. It’s still a great option for short term extra cash needs.
- Do an odd job: You can always try to mow extra lawns, do yard work, baby sit, house clean, dog walk, plant sit or help someone move. You can ask your neighbors, put out flyers or advertisements, ask around at church and ask people you know. It won’t make you rich, but you can make $20-$50 pretty quickly in a weekend.
- Donate Plasma: If you aren’t afraid of needles, you can make $30-$50 a week by donating plasma 1-2 times per week. There are regulations on what will disqualify you from being eligible to donate and how often you can donate. DonatingPlasma.org gives more information on the process along with a list of plasma banks in the U.S.
- Medical Procedures: Other options for relatively quick cash in a rather unusual way can include volunteering for a clinical trial, donating eggs or donating sperm. While donating sperm is a rigorous screening process with minimal risk, donating eggs is a very intense and potentially risky process that has a very high pay. Clinical trials vary in terms of potential risk and subsequent pay. All of these options can take several months to complete or get any type of compensation.
- Sell your Hair: There are a number of places online that you can sell your hair if you have a minimum of 10” of hair length and your hair is not bleached or overly chemically treated. Some women who have sold their hair (unbleached, not dyed, not processed, non-smokers) of 34” in length for almost $3,000! That is a lot of money for some healthy hair.
- Street Performer: This won’t make you rich by any means, but if you have any type of talent (musical, comedy, miming) and you aren’t shy try performing in the street for tips. If can be a great way to have fun for an afternoon- and might lead to a gig or two. Be sure to check for any applicable laws that might indicate you need a permit or any other legal paperwork.